Responsible to: Community Support Officer or Community Managed Library Committee
Location: Cheslyn Hay / Great Wyrley Library
Hours: To suit, but a minimum of 2 hour blocks of time volunteered. This is an ongoing volunteer opportunity.
Purpose: Assisting in the delivery of high quality front line customer service to all library users
Background: Staffordshire Library Service is committed to investing in volunteering across the library network. This will contribute towards the sustainability of the Library service for future generations. The Library Service volunteer offer also contributes towards meaningful community capacity building, social inclusion and provides a comprehensive volunteer opportunity.
These may vary and may include the following;
- Ensuring a high standard of presentation of the library and its stock by returning books and other items to the shelves and displaying to best effect.
- Handling payments from the public.
- Answering face to face, telephone and email enquiries from the public.
- Assisting customers with enquiries by signposting people to a range of relevant organisations and information.
- Assisting the public in the use of ICT and e-government services, including signposting people to the online portal for older persons and disabled persons bus pass applications.
- Assistance and promotion with library events and activities.
- Dealing with requests, new stock and other procedures to ensure the effective day to day operation of the library.
- To work effectively alongside alongside other volunteers.
- Using an IT based Library Management system to carry out routine procedures associated with the day to day operation of the library including checking books and other items in and out and registering new library users.
Skills required for this role;
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Enthusiasm and commitment
- Ability and motivation to work and engage with people of all ages
- Good communication skills
- IT skills
- Flexible approach to the duties required
- An interest in people, books and current affairs.
Training: All necessary training will be given for this volunteering opportunity.
Equal Opportunities: Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities provider and employer and will welcome applications from anyone who has the skills to carry out this position regardless of age, sex, racial/ethnic background, sexual orientation, disability, status etc.